Te@chThought‘s Day 18 Challenge is: “Create a metaphor/simile/analogy that describes your teaching philosophy. For example, a “teacher is a ________…””
Teaching today requires teachers to wear multiple hats. It is no longer enough to coach from the sidelines, or lecture to large classrooms.
So in my thinking, a teacher is a collaborative engineer. Let me explain:
- models collaborative skills by engaging in professional collaborative efforts
- assists students in finding collaborative work partners and developing skills in working with others
- engineers the conditions in which students can learn
- engineers learning opportunities that make students WANT to learn
- collaborates with students as a fellow learner
- leverages the power of technology to facilitate connections beyond the classroom walls in order to provide rich learning experiences in areas students are actually interested in
- ensures that learners do not feel alone on their learning journeys
- fosters rich discussions with learners so that everyone has the opportunity to derive as much meaning as they can from lessons, readings, viewings, etc.
- challenges learners to design their own meaningful investigations
- engineers inquiry from rote facts
I see teachers as co-conspirators with their learners embariking on a great adventure!